Animal activists invade a laboratory with the intention of releasing chimpanzees that are undergoing experimentation, infected by a virus -a virus that causes rage. The naive activists ignore the pleas of a scientist to keep the cages locked, with disastrous results.
Twenty-eight days later, Jim, wakes up from a coma, alone, in an abandoned hospital. He begins to seek out anyone else to find London is deserted, apparently without a living soul. After finding a church, which had become inhabited by zombie like humans intent on his demise, he runs for his life. Selena and Mark rescue him from the horde and bring him up to date on the mass carnage and horror as all of London tore itself apart. This is a tale of survival and ultimately, heroics, with nice subtext about mankind’s savage nature.
|Additional Cast:||Naomie Harris, Megan Burns, Brendan Gleeson|
|Genre:||Horror, Thriller, Sci-Fi|
|MPAA Rating:||Rated R for strong violence and gore, language and nudity|
|UK Release:||November 1, 2002|
|US Release:||June 27, 2003|
|Additional Info:||Internet Movie Database|
Trivia and Fun Facts
– The hospital in the film is a real day hospital and is not open at weekends. The trust managers of the hospital hire out the building to filmmakers for weekends, and the productions pay the hospital directly, meaning the money from the filming goes directly to the trust fund of the hospital.
– The tower block where Hannah and her father lived was condemned and has now been demolished.
– The surnames of Jim, Selena, Mark, Frank, and Hannah are never revealed, either during the film or in the credits. Likewise, the names of Jim’s parents are never revealed.
– The Bible verse on the postcard that Jim is so interested in is from the Book of Nahum. Nahum was a prophet who predicted the destruction of the great city of Nineveh, the capital of the great, and at that time flourishing, Assyrian empire. It was to be utterly destroyed as a punishment for the great wickedness of its inhabitants.
– The flashback scenes of Jim’s parents were shot on Super 8mm film.
– All of the scenes in the mansion that involved upstairs rooms were filmed downstairs as the mansion’s owner lives upstairs. When Jim jumps in through the window in the roof, he is actually jumping through a hole in the corridor upstairs down to the ground floor with rain effects upstairs.
– Funded by the British Film Council, which in itself is funded by the National Lottery. As a result of this, there are prominent advertisements for the National Lottery throughout the film, for example in the newsagents near the beginning of the film and in the supermarket (in the background while Jim and Frank are discussing whisky).
– Ewan McGregor was the original choice to play Jim. After that didn’t work out, the role was offered to Ryan Gosling, but although he was interested, he could not commit due to a scheduling conflict. Eventually, Cillian Murphy was cast.
– The scene where Jim and Selena celebrate with Frank and Hannah was shot on September 11. Danny Boyle has said it felt extremely strange to be shooting a celebratory scene on that particular day.
– Cillian Murphy’s nude scenes were done on a closed set, at Murphy’s insistence.
Jim: “No, no. No, see, this is a really shit idea. You know why? Because it’s really obviously a shit idea.”
Selena: “Hannah, it’s OK. He’s not infected.”
Hannah: “But I thought he was biting you.”
Jim: “Kissing. I was kissing her. Are you stoned?”
Selena: “It’s a long story.”
Jim: “That was longer than a heartbeat.”
Jim: “Do you know I was thinking?”
Selena: “You were thinking that you’ll never hear another piece of original music ever again. You’ll never read a book that hasn’t already been written or see a film that hasn’t already been shot.”
Jim: “Um, that’s what you were thinking.”
Selena: “No. I was thinking I was wrong.”
Jim: “About what?”
Selena: “All the death. All the shit. It doesn’t really mean anything to Frank and Hannah because… Well, she’s got a Dad and he’s got his daughter. So, I was wrong when I said that staying alive is as good as it gets.”
Jim: “See, that’s what I was thinking.”
Selena: “Was it?”
Jim: “Hmm. You stole my thought.”
Jim: “It’s okay. You keep it.”
Jim: “And then I wake up today in hospital. I wake up, and I’m… I’m hallucinating or I’m…”
Mark: “What’s your name?”
Mark: “I’m Mark. This is Selena. OK, Jim. I’ve got some bad news.”
Jim: “World’s worst place to get a flat, huh?”
Frank: “Agreed. I think we better do this quick?”
Jim: “Oh, great. Valium. Not only will we be able to go to sleep, if we get attacked in the middle of the night, we won’t even care.”
Jim: “What do you mean there’s no government? There’s always a government, they’re in a bunker or a plane somewhere!”